I don’t know about you but I do not remember having so many teacher planning days. So now, it’s a Friday and your children are home from school. What do you do? How can you keep your kiddos entertained and make it a teachable moment within a budget? Here’s a few creative and fun meals you can do with your kids while they are home for the day without breaking the bank:
Pancake or Waffle Buffet:
- All you will need is some pancake mix and whatever you have in your pantry! This is a great way to get rid of items left over from other meals i.e. a half container of blueberries, honey, raisins, chocolate chip and whip cream. Don’t have whipped cream? See this easy homemade recipe from allrecipes.com.
- Make it fun and creative by letting them build their own pancake sandwiches or towers. How about making a fun shaped waffles with a Olaf the Snowman Waffles Maker?
Personal Pan Pizza Buffet:
- Grab a bag of English Muffins, pizza Sauce or marinara sauce and your choice of fixings. My kids love black olives and pepperoni. For you parents, raid the frig for bell peppers, onions, mushroom, spinach and other pizza toppings!
- It’s time to have fun by having a contest for the most creative or tastiest mini pie!
First some helpful tips about popcorn!
- It’s healthier to make popcorn from scratch. Have you ever taken a look at the ingredients on the box? Take a closer look and the health risks from Science Daily.
- It’s cheaper – let’s compare! A 45oz jar of a name brand popcorn is $4.98, while the same brand of microwave popcorn at 17.41oz costs $3.68. With the average serving size of 2oz (un-popped), you’re getting 14 additional serving for $1.30.
- It does not take a long time to make from scratch! In about 5 minutes you can make some yummy popcorn, however, if you just do not want to stand by the stove and must use a microwave, you can cook it much healthier by using the POPCO Microwave Popcorn Popper.
- There are tons of great flavors to mix it up! The Foodnetwork.com has 50 flavor popcorn recipes to try, have fun with it!
It Make Cents to Save Dollars!